Oh Simple Faith ….Where have you gone…
These lines have been reverberating in my mind for the past few days. During my morning journeys to office, music was the sole companion. Bangalore city, in all its hurry, would pass in front of my eyes and I would drink in all the sights and think about what happened, what is happening and what would happen in my world and others’.
Thus one day I came across this song by Keane and it became my favourite.It has a quality which puts the listener into a trance. The song is worded thus:
"I walked across an empty land,
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
.I felt the earth beneath my feet,
Sat by the river and it made me complete.
Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on.
So tell me when you're gonna let me in,
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin."
The song is addressed to some body’s love. The refrain “o simple thing where have you gone” is catchy. But whenever I hum the song, what comes to my mind is “oo simple faith where have you gone.”
This can be because they coincide with my thoughts.
I have studied in my school textbooks that man is a social animal. He lives in groups and shares his existence with the fellows of his group. But Charles Darwin has propounded that human evolution was through “survival of the fittest”. That means the fittest human being in a group will survive at the expense of others in the group. But this theory does not support the social sharing theory. When a man helps another to survive, is he reducing his own chance to survive?
The question for which I am seeking answer is “To what extent we can expect help from another human being?” would a human being help another to rise to a level higher than himself? Well my experience is that you should expect the least or you should not expect at all. Keep your expectation low and you ll be happy with what you have got.
How much can we expect from friends. Would a friend threaten his own existence to help you? Would you thwart your own chances of survival to help your best friend? I think such friendships are only the dreams sold by the silver screen and the tinsel world.
Well, I might be thought of as contradicting myself as I have written about friends and the nostalgia that that is created by their absence. I am a fortunate person gifted with lot of good and true friends. But my personal belief is that friendship thrives if you give more and take less. To be honest, my friends have helped me a lot. During my Post Graduate studies, our class was a co operative society. We wrote assignments, even projects for each other and our co operation even extended to class tests. Still I did not expect the same warmth when I started working.
There again, the conclusion that I came to is that expectations cause disappointments. When you expect the least, you get a lot more than you expected. If you expect a lot, the chances that you ll be disappointed are greater. For me this theory has worked, be it friendship or working relationships.
These lines have been reverberating in my mind for the past few days. During my morning journeys to office, music was the sole companion. Bangalore city, in all its hurry, would pass in front of my eyes and I would drink in all the sights and think about what happened, what is happening and what would happen in my world and others’.
Thus one day I came across this song by Keane and it became my favourite.It has a quality which puts the listener into a trance. The song is worded thus:
"I walked across an empty land,
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
.I felt the earth beneath my feet,
Sat by the river and it made me complete.
Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on.
So tell me when you're gonna let me in,
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin."
The song is addressed to some body’s love. The refrain “o simple thing where have you gone” is catchy. But whenever I hum the song, what comes to my mind is “oo simple faith where have you gone.”
This can be because they coincide with my thoughts.
I have studied in my school textbooks that man is a social animal. He lives in groups and shares his existence with the fellows of his group. But Charles Darwin has propounded that human evolution was through “survival of the fittest”. That means the fittest human being in a group will survive at the expense of others in the group. But this theory does not support the social sharing theory. When a man helps another to survive, is he reducing his own chance to survive?
The question for which I am seeking answer is “To what extent we can expect help from another human being?” would a human being help another to rise to a level higher than himself? Well my experience is that you should expect the least or you should not expect at all. Keep your expectation low and you ll be happy with what you have got.
How much can we expect from friends. Would a friend threaten his own existence to help you? Would you thwart your own chances of survival to help your best friend? I think such friendships are only the dreams sold by the silver screen and the tinsel world.
Well, I might be thought of as contradicting myself as I have written about friends and the nostalgia that that is created by their absence. I am a fortunate person gifted with lot of good and true friends. But my personal belief is that friendship thrives if you give more and take less. To be honest, my friends have helped me a lot. During my Post Graduate studies, our class was a co operative society. We wrote assignments, even projects for each other and our co operation even extended to class tests. Still I did not expect the same warmth when I started working.
There again, the conclusion that I came to is that expectations cause disappointments. When you expect the least, you get a lot more than you expected. If you expect a lot, the chances that you ll be disappointed are greater. For me this theory has worked, be it friendship or working relationships.
1 comment:
:-)
btw...happy onam..
Post a Comment