How to find God? This was the topic of debate among our flatmates today. I am not starting a philosophical debate by beginning on this note. I think yesterday I found God , no it was a goddess. She wore a white salwar Kameez and a dupatta. She said "aao beti..."
The reader can come to different conclusions after reading this. One, he or she may think that the Glasgow weather has loosened all the screws left in my brain or he /she may think that she actually got a "divya darshan". You are free to choose between the two. But i might be able to convince you.
My personal belief is that , if u are frantically searching for something or someone, the moment you get that coveted object, you can term it as the moment of enlightenement. Gautama Buddha got supreme knowledge, which he was searching for, sitting under the bodhi tree. My moment of supreme bliss came to me yesterday.
what I am trying to state here is that my experience could not be counted less though i am in no way trying to compare myself with such a great personality.
I was in search of something good to fill my stomach for the past one and a half months. We were all literally living on cornflakes and bread. I think some of us had nightmares n which we were strangled with rolls of bread and drowned in oceans of milk and cornflakes. We also had dreams in which plates of idli, dosa, samosas etc were waiting for us to be eaten. We found some consolation by adding lots of chilli and pepper powder to our pasta or noodles. Sometimes it became so spicy that we ate it with watering eyes and running noses.
Then came a day good fortune dawned on us. My flatmates and I went out to do one of those job searches by the time we were done with the chores, hunger caught up with us. We had no hope, it was a long way from where we stay. But God sent a thought to one of us that a Gurudwara is near and we set out , without any expectations. It was Diwali day.
Diwali at home would be a grand affair but here it was just another day. Previous night, we had talked about the boxes of sweets that would be stacked in our houses during diwali. We entered te Gurudwara with the sole expectation of getting a momentary relief from the onslaught of hunger. But the moment we got into the gurudwara, i saw the angel, clad in white. She said "aao beti" and welcomed me to rows of sweets and pakodas and lots of goodies. I have to say that it was one of the most wonderful moments in my life. You didnt expect anything and you got everything. I asked for a flower and you gave me the whole spring!!! thank you God, you rock!
We had our fill and obviously we couldnt eat everything taken and kept in the plates greedily. So we took some sweets home for the less fortunate Neena, who didnt come for the grand peet pooja. I have to say, after our arrival at Glasgow, there was never a moment this satisfactory in our lives. And when we were bursting with laddus, jelabis and barfis, another angel took her friend's seat and said "aao beti". We ran away from the spot!
But we got out of our place of enlightenment, looked back and screamed WE LOVE YOU. I am not exaggerating but have to say that we found eternal bliss in that house of God. I am coming to the discussion about finding God with which I started the blog. They say God can come in any shape and attire. I am sure that those who provided us food when we really were longing for it were no less than Gods. For us the aged Punjabi grandma who offered us food so lovingly was surely a goddess. We didnt pray anything there, but our sincere thanks were written on our happy faces and there were lots of good wishes left.
By the way we are planning to go there tommorow for the Langar.
1 comment:
reminds me of my stint in stirling, not far from glasgow. of course, i cooked my own "indian" meals of nameless origin.
Post a Comment